During the summer months, the number of motorcycles on the roads increases drastically. Car and truck drivers have a responsibility to be aware of these extra vehicles on the road, and yes, share the responsibility of practicing motorcycle safety with motorcyclists. Here are a few tips for car and truck drivers.
- Due to their small size, motorcycles are difficult to see, and drivers often unintentionally ignore them. Make a point of looking for them this summer when it is certain that there will be many on the roads.
- Think of motorcyclists as peopleónot vehicles.
- It can be difficult to judge a motorcycle's speed because of their size, so avoid pulling out in front of them if you think they might be at all close.
- Be aware that motorcyclists often slow by downshifting or rolling off the throttle, failing to activate their break lights.
- Be aware that it is easy for a motorcycle to get lost in your blind spots as a result of its small size. Be everódiligent when you know a motorcycle is near.
Here are some safety tips to ensure enjoyable and safe riding this summer.
- Take a motorcycle safety course. Not only will it help you to stay safe, but it may also entitle you to a discount on your motorcycle insurance! (Visit: motorcycle.msun.edu)
- Make sure your headlights work and are on night and day.
- Wear protective clothing, such as a helmet, eye protection, long sleeves and pants made from thick material, boots, and gloves, and always wear bright colors or reflective gear.
- Be aware of blind spots that car and truck drivers have, and use lane positioning to be seen easily.
- Even if you slow by downshifting or rolling off the throttle, flash your break lights so that others know what you are doing.
- Pretend that you are invisible, as you very well might be to car and truck drivers.
Darnielle Insurance is available to answer your questions.
We are located at 1320 28th Street West, Billings, MT 59102.
Give us a call at 406-652-4180.
Start a Quote Online
We'll Shop Around So You Don't Have To
Start a quote by filling out our online application providing us with the basic information we need to perform a quote. It only takes a few minutes and we'll respond within
one business day.
- Mar 23, 2017 11:40am
Winter is Loosening its Grip...
- Nov 06, 2016 04:10pm
- Oct 11, 2016 09:57pm
Phishing, Don't Take the Bait
- Aug 05, 2016 03:04pm
Your Home may be Underinsured
- Jul 06, 2016 04:23pm
Do You Volunteer Your Time AND Insurance?
- Apr 15, 2016 08:49pm
Home Improvement Season!
- Feb 26, 2016 09:17am
Wow... Uber is coming to Montana!
- Jan 02, 2016 05:02pm
Hey "Sled-Heads" are you ready to go "Billing?"
- Nov 12, 2015 09:02pm
Reducing Your Insurance Costs ... Distinguishing Bad Advice from Good Advice
- Oct 05, 2015 11:01am
What should I know when buying my Condominium Unit Owners policy?