The best advice for driving in bad winter weather is to not drive at all, if you can avoid it. Otherwise, try waiting until the snow plows and sanding trucks have had a chance to clear off any roads and make sure you allow plenty of time to get to your destination.
- Check your tires for adequate tread life and that they are properly inflated.
- Make sure your spare is ready to use.
- Carry an ice scraper and snow brush — make time to properly clear your windows.
- Check for proper antifreeze level.
- What condition are your windshield wiper blades in? Do they need to be replaced?
- You may choose to carry a small snow shovel and a bag of cat litter in your trunk to use for traction if you get stuck.
- If you are traveling be sure to take "comfort items" in the event you are stranded in your car — blanket, hat, gloves, snacks for example.
The Montana Department of Transportation offers a vast amount of information regarding safe winter driving. Visit their website at www.mdt.mt.gov to download their Montana Disaster & Emergency Survival Guide. Here are some of the items they suggest that you pack in your emergency travel kit for winter driving.
- NOAA Weather Radio
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Season-appropriate clothing
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags & plastic ties
- Basic tool kit ?php include(ABSPATH."news/includes/newswell.php");?
- Axe or saw
- Tow chain
- Spare tire
- Wire and/or rope
- Starter fluid, extra oil, and de-icer
- Cat litter or sand
- Booster cables
- Non-perishable, high energy food
- Local maps
Information taken from: Montana Dept. Transportation website
Darnielle Insurance is available to answer your questions.
We are located at 1320 28th Street West, Billings, MT 59102.
Give us a call at 406-652-4180.
Start a Quote Online
We'll Shop Around So You Don't Have To
Start a quote by filling out our online application providing us with the basic information we need to perform a quote. It only takes a few minutes and we'll respond within
one business day.
- Mar 23, 2017 11:40am
Winter is Loosening its Grip...
- Nov 06, 2016 04:10pm
- Oct 11, 2016 09:57pm
Phishing, Don't Take the Bait
- Aug 05, 2016 03:04pm
Your Home may be Underinsured
- Jul 06, 2016 04:23pm
Do You Volunteer Your Time AND Insurance?
- Apr 15, 2016 08:49pm
Home Improvement Season!
- Feb 26, 2016 09:17am
Wow... Uber is coming to Montana!
- Jan 02, 2016 05:02pm
Hey "Sled-Heads" are you ready to go "Billing?"
- Nov 12, 2015 09:02pm
Reducing Your Insurance Costs ... Distinguishing Bad Advice from Good Advice
- Oct 05, 2015 11:01am
What should I know when buying my Condominium Unit Owners policy?